1 hard white substance covering the crown of a tooth [syn: tooth enamel]
2 a colored glassy compound (opaque or partially opaque) that is fused to the surface of metal or glass or pottery for decoration or protection
3 a paint that dries to a hard glossy finish
4 any smooth glossy coating that resembles ceramic glaze v : coat, inlay, or surface with enamel [also: enamelling, enamelled]
- Rhymes: -æməl
opaque, glassy coating baked onto metal or ceramic objects
covering on the tooth
Usage notesenamelling and enamelled chiefly British.
Enamel may refer to:
- Tooth enamel, the hard mineralized surface of teeth.
- Vitreous enamel, a smooth, durable coating made of melted and fused glass powder.
- Enamel paint, a paint that dries to an especially hard glossy finish, resembling vitreous enamel,
- Enameled wire, wire insulated with vitreous enamel.
- Enamel (markup language)
- Enamel (song), a song by Brave Saint Saturn from their album "The Light Of Things Hoped For..."
enamel in Danish: Emalje
enamel in Spanish: Esmalte (desambiguación)
enamel in French: Émail
enamel in Hebrew: אמייל
apply paint, bedaub, bedizen, begild, besmear, brush on paint, butter, calcimine, china, clay, coat, coating, color, complexion, cover, dab, daub, deep-dye, dip, distemper, double-dye, dye, emblazon, engild, face, facing, fast-dye, film, fresco, fur, gild, glaze, gloss, grain, hue, illuminate, imbue, ingrain, japan, lacquer, lay on, lay on color, paint, parget, pellicle, pigment, porcelain, prime, refractory, revetment, scale, scum, shade, shadow, shellac, skin, slap on, slather, slop on paint, smear, smear on, spread on, spread with, stain, stipple, tar, tinct, tincture, tinge, tint, tone, undercoat, varnish, veneer, wash, whitewash